Development AssociateCompany: The Wooden Floor
Date Posted: July 26, 2017
Organization Profile: Founded in 1983, The Wooden Floor is one of the foremost creative youth development nonprofit organizations in the country. We transform the lives of young people in low-income communities through the power of dance and access to higher education. In Orange County and through national licensed partners, we use a long-term approach grounded in exploratory dance education to foster the confidence and gifts within each child to innovate, communicate, and collaborate – skills necessary for success in school and in life. 100 percent of students who graduate from The Wooden Floor immediately enroll in higher education. Our students become change agents and beacons of hope within their own families, their neighborhoods, our community, and our world.
In 2016, The Wooden Floor launched a four-year Comprehensive Campaign (2016-2019), Lift: The Campaign for The Wooden Floor. Significant funding is being raised comprehensively for the following three strategic initiatives: 1) Growth and excellence of existing programs, 2) Extension of The Wooden Floor’s campus, 3) Growth and sustainability of The Wooden Floor Endowment Fund.
The Development Associate is a key position as part of Development Department of four FTE, working closely with Development Operations Coordinator, Development Manager, and contract Grants Consultant, all reporting to Chief Development Officer (CDO). Under the direction of the CDO, the Development Associate executes the organization’s fundraising strategies, with a primary focus on annual individual and corporate giving ($1 - $2,500). The Development Associate will manage and expand Neighbors giving group and sustaining monthly donor programs, as well as implement strategies for annual, integrated direct mail/digital appeals, welcome series for prospective donors, and in-kind donation strategies, and designs new donor acquisition strategies in preparation for upcoming public phase of Comprehensive Campaign.
The ideal candidate equally enjoys building new donor relationships along with fundraising strategies to advance organization’s overall Comprehensive Campaign Plan. This position requires a high level of attention to detail, discretion, and mature independent judgment in working with donors and handling sensitive and confidential information. In addition, s/he is flexible in performing a wide variety of special projects at the request of the CDO.
Reports To: Chief Development Officer
Status: Full-time (Monday – Friday, 9:00am to 6:00pm)
Essential Job Functions:
- Manage and execute donor retention and acquisition strategies for Neighbors annual/monthly giving program
- Collaborate with Development Manager on donor upgrade strategies for annual/Neighbors supporters to Dance Partner program
- Create and manage welcome series for prospective donors and first-time visitors
- Research, identify, and cultivate new corporate partnerships and event underwriters
- Collaborate with Marketing Department on the execution of annual fund and special appeals collateral, in alignment with comprehensive annual marketing/development calendar
- Design Campaign “public phase” acquisition strategies to align with Comprehensive Campaign plan
- Assist in drafting appeal messaging and development articles for newsletter and digital appeals
- Support planning and execution of fundraising events: Keep the Promise Wine Tasting Benefit™, Annual Concert Opening Night Reception, Step Beyond Annual Breakfast™, and Campaign salons.
- Lead prospective donor campus visits, tours, and cultivation meetings in support of Campaign activities
- Regularly assess and prepare reports on fundraising activity and outcomes to inform future strategies and progress towards goals
Required Education, Skills, & Competencies:
- Bachelor’s or advance academic degree
- 3+ years of professional fundraising experience
- Knowledge of fundraising fundamentals and continuous learner in fundraising best practices
- Desire and plan to obtain CFRE credential is high desired
- Demonstrated success in direct mail and digital solicitation strategies
- High-energy professional with strong initiative to build new relationships
- Professional demeanor and experience working with high level community/business volunteers
- Passion for youth, arts, and education
- Mission driven; business minded
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced, complex environment with the skills to establish priorities, set objectives, and achieve stated goals
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and writing skills
- Proficient in MS Office, donor database CRM (preferably Raiser’s Edge), and web research
- Handle and produce data and fiscal analysis for reporting purposes; consistently demonstrate high attention to detail
- Ability to pass criminal background check
- Possess a valid California Driver’s License and maintain a clean driving record
Compensation: Commensurate salary based upon demonstrated experience and qualifications.
To Apply: Send a copy of your cover letter and resume to: HR@TheWoodenFloor.org,
Subject: Development Associate