Development DirectorCompany: JDRF
Date Posted: October 3, 2017
JDRF is the leading nongovernmental funder and charitable advocate of type 1 diabetes (T1D) research worldwide. The vision of JDRF is a world without type 1 diabetes. The mission of JDRF is accelerating life-changing breakthroughs to cure, prevent and treat T1D and its complications.
The Development Director will play a key Chapter role in leading and supporting the identification and moves management (cultivation, solicitation and stewardship) of relationship opportunities in the areas of individual, corporate and Outreach integration in order to best integrate them into the Chapter’s core program of work. Working in partnership with the Executive Director and aligning with Chapter functional lead staff and key volunteers, the Development Director will help lead the process of identifying and qualifying a pipeline of prospective donors, door-openers, fundraisers and leadership volunteers who meet agreed upon criteria for achieving our ongoing revenue objectives, including event sponsorship. Utilizing that created pipeline and the existing Outreach pipeline, the Development Director will help build strategic and tactical plans to achieve and ideally exceed Chapter financial expectations, across all revenue streams. Using an account/relationship management structure, the Development Director will be responsible for a mutually agreed upon portfolio. She/he will partner with key volunteers and staff to facilitate donor contacts and collaborate on the appropriate components of the moves management process. Included in the responsibilities of this position will be leading the Chapter’s annual Golf event. In addition, this position will help ensure the Chapter creates a positive, engaged, inspired and rewarding experience with all new and existing donors including those recently impacted by a T1D diagnosis.
- Help determine if and where current giving is received and allocated, by whom, how much and why (history).
- Help identify the best integration strategy for those impacted by a new diagnosis (Outreach pipeline)
- Lead the development efforts of the annual Golf event including strategic and tactical planning for sustained and scalable growth.
- Supports annual budget development, planning, implementation and evaluation of related areas of business
- Working within JDRF’s volunteer - staff partnership environment, the Development Director will support and maintain the vision, mission, priorities, and guiding principles of JDRF.
- In partnership with the Executive Director, manage the direction of the Chapter’s individual and corporate giving program(s), as well as how best to integrate the newly diagnosed / Outreach
- Assist in the identification, cultivation and stewardship of new volunteer leadership including future Board members and committee members.
- Provide strategic direction and execution support for Chapter functional leads where substantial individual and corporate relationships / giving plays a role.
- Oversee the growth of strategic pipeline development within the Chapter as it applies to new and increased individual and corporate giving in a major way.
- Oversee the growth of Outreach pipeline development within the Chapter as it applies to integration into the fabric of the Chapter and the organization.
- Manage CRM / donor database to plan, track and analyze results of development efforts
- May supervise staff.
- Maintain a thorough understanding of JDRF’s mission and research strategy.
- Ensure the confidentiality and security of proprietary information.
- Establish a network through which he/she represents the organization in professional societies/organizations.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- 5-7 years of progressively responsible individual and corporate giving cultivation, solicitation and stewardship with a proven track record of success.
- Thorough experience in CRM database use and portfolio management.
- Understanding and working knowledge of philanthropy within the Orange County landscape.
- Understanding and knowledge of donor-centered fundraising.
- Demonstrated experience in donor retention.
- Experience and success in viable pipeline development.
- Volunteer development and management experience, especially around the staff-volunteer partnership.
- Experience in event fundraising in the peer to peer and signature event space including Gala, Walk, Golf and other special events.
- Works well within a matrix structure where more than one individual is providing guidance, feedback, counsel and support.
- Understanding of computer systems and databases. Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint).
- Effectively multi-task, establishes priorities, and work in a fast paced environment.
- Highly efficient in time management and can meet deadlines under pressure
- Team player that has the ability to interface with all levels of staff and volunteers.
- Excellent written, oral, and communication skills. Ability for presentation delivery, conveying ideas, and instructing effectively.
- Superior active listening, observation, analytical, and problem recognition and solving skills. Exercise sound judgment.
- Ability to work and make judgments independently and take initiative. Well-disciplined and a self-starter that is extremely resourceful.
- High capacity to assess the value, importance, and/or quality of activities and people.
- Ability to travel locally required. Occasional overnight travel as needed
How to apply:
No Phone Calls Please. Only those candidates who meet our qualifications will be contacted. No staffing agencies please.
JDRF is an Equal Opportunity Employer